5 Things to Consider When Searching for a Qualified Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon
You always want the very best for your children, and would do anything to help them stay safe and healthy. When looking for a pediatric orthopedic surgeon, you want to find the most qualified, child-friendly medical professional in your area. Here are 5 things you should consider when you are searching for a qualified pediatric orthopedic surgeon.
- First, ask around for references from friends, colleagues and family members. The best way to learn of reputable professionals is by word of mouth. If people who know have had good experiences with a pediatric orthopedic surgeon, they will likely be eager to share their experiences with you so that you can reap the same benefits. Likewise this is also an effective way to learn about professional with poor reputations or with whom your friends have had less than satisfactory experiences. While you should take all opinions and comments with a grain of salt, this information can be a helpful and useful starting point.
- Utilize online resources. Websites such as http://www.orthoped.com/ provide families and patients with a wide array of information and links to nearby services, orthopedic centers and physical therapy groups to help you navigate the process and the medical world. This is a great way to see your different options in one simple format and location. In addition, look for patient reviews on discussion sites online to see what other people are saying about different doctors, facilities and PTs.
- Schedule interviews with 2 or 3 different pediatric orthopedic surgeons. Before you commit, you can get a good sense of a physician’s demeanor, values, education, approaches and more. Also, consider bringing your child along with you to this interview. They can ask questions too, and the doctor can get to know him or her. If you child feel comfortable, that may be one of the best ways to decide which surgeon you will work with throughout your child’s treatment process.
- Next, you will need to consider your insurance plan. Which insurance provider you use may influence which surgeons you can and cannot work with. Make sure surgeons are within your specific plan so you do not have to pay for all costs and expenses out of your own pocket. This will save you lots of joey and help you to take advantage of your insurance plan so it can work for you and you child!
- Finally, consider the location of the surgeon. While you will travel far and wide for your kid, you also need to consider convenience and realistic expectations. If you will need to visit the surgeon frequently and want to be close in case of an emergency, you should really keep your surgeon search within a specific radius of your home. This will provide you will peace of mind, plus it will save you time and money that you’d have to spend if you travel far.
All of these items are important factors to consider as a parent when searching for a qualified pediatric orthopedic surgeon for your child’s health needs. Once you think these things over and do your background research, you will be able to make a well informed decision with confidence.