Got a Review Request?
As you may have noticed, I’ve been reviewing very intermittently for the past few months. There are a few reasons for this:
1) School was crazy. Like, I took seven classes in my final semester, plus an internship, plus a job kind of crazy. That ended in May, *throws confetti for graduation* but…
2) I went to New York City for the summer. I was accepted to and got a scholarship to attend the Columbia Publishing Course this past summer. It was basically like a dream come true for a bibliophile like me–every day it was like a who’s-who of the publishing industry, and OMG when I met the editor for Twilight, I about lost my cool. It was intense. But, in between New York and graduation…
3) I moved to Texas. And I live in a very small town in Texas. Like, I don’t have internet in my neighborhood kind of Small Town Texas. Admittedly, this is a total First World Problem, but when you’re a blogger and your life depends on internet, it gets very frustrating. Plus, my Starbucks bill has tripled since I’ve moved here.
So, that’s where I’ve been, but, I’m happy to say that I am now accepting reviews!
*throws more freakin’ confetti*
As a reminder, I’m really in to:
- New Adult
- Young Adult
I do read erotica and m/m stories, but our other reviewers read and review them with much more frequency than I do.
I’d love to read and review your book, and I’m happy to have the time to do so.
Feel free to e-mail me at MamaMia@MamaKittyReviews.com if you want me to check out your book, want to know more about my time at CPC, or if you just want to chat. I’m into that kind of thing, too.
I wanted to give you a present for MamaKitty’s big 3-0, but I also wanted to hear a little something about you! Read the post below, click the rafflecopter widget and enter to win an E-book of your choice (up to $14.99). Please remember to add your email address along with the Title, Author, and format of your preferred read!
What is in a name?
I am participating in a 30 day photo challenge and the other day the photo of the day was: Me. Well, it was a work day and I forgot I was supposed to take a picture of myself until I was driving home. By this point in the day, most of my makeup was gone and I’m sure my hair was pulled up into either a messy bun or a crooked pony tail. So during my long commute home I was thinking about how this non-photogenic person was going to take a decent “selfie” to post when a remake of the song I was named after came on the iPod. Problem solved – I took a picture of the song title and posted it. Which got me thinking about names, I personally detest mine. Not even my grandparents call me by that name, I won’t answer to it. The original song has been sung to me so many times in oh so many off key renditions that just hearing the name can make my skin crawl. In an effort to get people to forget about that one song, I have actually started collecting songs with my name in the title. I have found four songs with the same title that are nothing like the dreaded song that my misguided parents heard that fateful day. Consequently, I have found one remake I can tolerate because it is nothing like the original. How do you feel about your name? Were you named after someone?
Today is my 30th birthday. Some people might see that as the beginning of my downward descent on “the hill” of life, but with how old people are living these days, I think I’ve barely begun. Sure, my joints ache and I’m tired a lot, but I still don’t feel old. I hang out with my 21 year old friends just as easily as I do my 40+ year old friends.
They say that age is all in how you feel. Well, I’m 30 and I feel pretty good. I’m married to a wonderful man, I have the most beautiful and sweet little girl on the planet, I have a home that I love a car that runs, and the bills get paid every month. Yes, I hate school but I’m almost done. Once I graduate and get pass the registry, I’ll be able to work with patients and do something I really love to do. How many people can say that? Did I also mention that my debut novella is being released today?? HOW COOL IS THAT??
I’m blessed. And today is my birthday.
I’m currently in New Orleans partying it up with my husband and in-laws (it’s way more fun than it sounds, I promise you — they party harder than I ever did!) but in my absence, I wanted to leave you with a chance to win a pressie on my birthday. I’m offering up a $10 gift certificate to Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or iTunes as well as the chance to win a copy of my debut novella (as Paige Prince) Second Chance at Love. Enter using the Rafflecopter below!
You may have noticed that there’s been a lack of reviewing and updating and Facebooking and Tweeting from me lately. I’m not dead, I promise. I got a part time job to supplement my income after school (wow, I feel like I’m back in high school now) and it’s taken a lot out of me. Since I started work, I’ve been working every day from 5(ish) to 10. I go to school every day as well. That leaves little time for me to read or blog. Or sleep. Or spend time with my family. But it’ll only last a few months, since I’m due to graduate soon (YAY!) and I have every intention of taking a week or two off to lay back, relax, and read. A lot.
In the mean time, I can still coordinate guest spots if you’re interested. All review requests should be submitted via our handy dandy Google form, which is located on our review policy page.
Miss you all!
Happy Friday everyone!! I know updates have been lacking, but school is in full swing and we all know how crazy things get when you’re doing midterms and finals and every little thing in between. 19 more weeks and I’m DONE!
Anyway, I was lurking on Twitter and saw that HuffPost had tweeted a link to something that happened at a P!nk concert. She’s been one of my favorite singers for many years now, and I wanted to see what was so newsworthy.
Apparently, someone was fighting near a little girl at P!nk’s concert and it upset the little girl so much that she was crying. When P!nk noticed, she stopped in the middle of the song and asked if everything was okay. See how awesome she is?? She cares about her fans, she has a kickass attitude (I want to be her when I grow up!) and she has an absolutely beautiful voice. Is it any wonder why I love her so?
MK will be turning the big three-oh on May 11th this year. *cue Wilhelm Scream*
But MK is actually looking forward to turning 30, and she wants everyone to celebrate with her! (Clearly there is something wrong with her. lol) We’re currently looking for authors, publishers, and bloggers to either guest post or donate goodies so that this will be a month-long party we’ll never forget!
Since MK is prone to fantasizing about fictional men, the theme for the month-long birthday bash will be “What would you do to celebrate your 30th birthday if you had an unlimited budget?”
If you’re interested in posting or donating, please contact MK at mamakitty(at)mamakittyreviews(dot)com and let her know if you want to guest post, donate goodies, or both.
Happy New Year from the crew at MamaKitty Reviews! We wish you a year filled with love, joy, and many many books.
This year, I (MK) have decided not to resolve anything. Resolutions are doomed to be broken. Instead, I’m going to commit to things.
- I am committing myself to finishing school in August and doing so with a better GPA than I currently have.
- I am committing myself to finishing my first category length novel.
- I am committing myself to subbing to at least four submission calls (although I have eight on my list).
- I am committing myself to dropping weight and being healthy again.
Hi! Remember me? Yeah, it’s MamaMia giving you a dose of Thursday 13! *throws confetti*
So I know that you’ve been waiting to hear from me for a while, and I’m sorry that I’ve been so MIA, but I have to tell you, SCHOOL is driving me up a wall! Really (and what else is new?).
Really, though, I’ve been taking a lot more classes this semester, an internship, my nifty a capella group, (so I can get my real life GLEE on), and a job, so my days are pretty jam-packed from sun up to sun down. But! I’ve decided to take a much needed break from all that to hop on my favorite thing in the world—MKR! I have three more weeks of school (two of those weeks are finals), so I’m in the home stretch.
SO, understandably, here’s 13 THINGS I WANNA DO ONCE THE SEMESTER IS OVER:
- Sleep. Just cause, you know, I miss it.
- Tackle my TBR pile. It’s about 47 books deep (at last count), and about 11 of those are requested MKR reviews. Also, if you’re an author, and you’ve asked me for a review, I haven’t forgotten about you, and I WILL review your book!
- Take better care of myself. I really want to like, take my vitamins, eat something that doesn’t come out of a vending machine.
- Have a drink. Cause after this semester, I kinda need one.
- Punch whoever Norton is in the face. Cause I’ve had to lug three Norton Anthologies (British Literature, Shakespeare, and African American Literature) around campus. And they’re huge and cumbersome.
- Buy some new clothes. So I’ve made some drastic changes and lost some weight, so now all of my clothes are hanging off me! So I’d like to take some time out and go shopping. Plus, I love shoes. So I really want some shoes.
- Use my brand-new Amazon Prime account. So, the S.O. bought me a year subscription for my birthday a few weeks ago, and I have YET to use it! I plan to add to my TBR pile.
- Figure out what grad schools I am applying to, and get crackin’ on applications. This is an ongoing process, and changes as I decide if I want to be a writer (MFA programs, then), a professor of African-American literature (an MA/PhD program, then), or a publisher (a certification/ MS/MA in publishing, then). I will say, the one thing that I’ve always wanted to be is an editor. So that’s something to think about.
- Figure out what my summer is gonna look like. So I’m GRADUATING *throws more confetti* in May, and depending upon a bunch of things, I may be spending my summer in Texas (working) or in New York (if I get accepted into this program. More on that later.) Either way, there’s Authors After Dark in Savannah, GA coming up in August, and I REALLY want to go (and see MK!).
- Buy a new computer. The one that I’m typing this blog post up on, my trusty Sony VAIO, is being held together by tape and a prayer. And while I love my computer, it’s just not gonna hang on for much longer. So, I need to research and buy another one. I’m trying to decide between a Macbook (pricey, and doesn’t come standard with Word, which is my life), and a Lenovo Ideabook (light and portable, durable, and/but…a PC).
- Read all of Paradise Lost. So, while I loooooove romance, I’m a total literature buff (at least, I’d like to think so), and I LOOOOOOOOOOVE Milton. And next semester, I’m taking a class all. On. Paradise. Lost. *cue squeals and girly hand flapping NOW*. I read about 4 books of it over the summer for a British Literature survey class, but, obviously, it’s really long. And I’m the type of literature student who reads with pencil in hand and margin notes abounding, so it’s bound to be a long adventure.
- Set up my home-office. Because my desk is currently a coat rack. And that’s probably why nothing gets done around these parts.
- RELAX! I get less than a month off, so I’d like to be able to unwind. Maybe take a bubble-bath, drink some wine, listen to some music, and chill. Tis’ the season, y’all!